"I hope the fences we mended
Fall down beneath their own weight"

John Darnielle

padaoesilva@gmail.com

quarta-feira, 15 de junho de 2011

"Subversive ideas can get through if you wrap them up in a great pop tune"

"I wrote This Charming Man for a John Peel session. I just leapt out of bed and wrote it. It was the culmination of trying to find a way of playing that was non-rock but still expressed my personality. I felt we needed something more upbeat in a different key and was miffed that Aztec Camera's Roddy Frame was getting on the radio and we weren't. That's why it's got that sunny disposition; my usual default setting was Manchester in the rain."
Johnny Marr, no Guardian de ontem, num artigo do próprio a propósito da estreia dos Smiths no Top of the Pops. Isto e muito mais pode ser "lido" numa viciante timeline da música explorável no site do Guardian. E sempre se fica a saber o que é que se passou no Lesser Free Hall a 4 de Junho de 1976.

Os The Smiths em plena subversão no TOTP